Re: Fall events

At 12:06 AM 8/17/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Khaverim --
>
>If you have a fall music event coming up in the New York City metro area
>(the five boros, Westchester or Long Island), please let me know so that
>I can include it in a fall arts roundup piece in Jewish Week. My
>deadline is around Labor Day, so the sooner you contact me the better.
>
>Many thanks,
>George Robinson

Hi George,
I saw this notice on Jewish Music list and thought I'd send you a copy of my
current fall schedule, but I couldn' get this message to go to you directly
so I'm sending this through the list.  My apologies to the list members.  A
lot of what is on it is irrelevant for Jewish Week,
but you might be curious to know what I'm up to.  I just got in copies of my
latest CD, The Art of Trio, a strictly straight ahead jazz affair, but I'd
be happy to send you a copy just for the fun of it.

On a related note, I have more than half the rough mixes for the
Afro-Semitic CD in.
I could use some critical useful feedback on that if you want to give a
listen.
Get back to me when you can.
David
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
David Chevan, Bassologist
for more info visit my web site now located at
 www.chevan.addr.com

Please note that I have changed my e-mail address.
The new address is dchevan (at) snet(dot)net

P.S. Everything else from here down will be my calendrical update

David Chevan's Fall 2000 Music Update

SCSU CREATIVE MUSIC ORCHESTRA picks fall dates
The SCSU Creative Music Orchestra has chosen its fall 2000 concert dates.
These will be the concert dates, pending approval of the SCSU scheduling
office.  The dates, all on Monday evenings are October 16, November 13 and
December 11. All concerts begin at 8:00 p.m. and will be held in the Charles
Garner Recital Hall, Room 115 in Engleman Hall on the Southern Connecticut
State University Campus in New Haven.  Admission is $3.00.  The SCSU
Creative Music Orchestra rehearses on Monday evenings in Room 158 of Earl
Hall from 7:30 - about 10 p.m.  As always there is no audition, anyone in
the community (but especially SCSU or prospective SCSU students) is welcome
to join the Orchestra.  If you're interested or know of potential musicians
please give me (David Chevan)  a call at my office at SCSU, the number is
(203) 392-6630 and the voice mail is always on.

BASSOLOGY IS BACK IN NEW HAVEN!
David Chevan's band, BASSOLOGY, is returning to New Haven for the first time
in over a year.  The band last appeared in a public performance in New Haven
at the 1999 International Festival of Arts and Ideas.  They will be
appearing in New Haven at the Blues Cafe on Wednesday, August 23 for three
shows.  The music begins at 8:30 p.m.  The band will feature music from its
two CDs, "The Feeling That I Get" and "Imagination" as well as material from
its  forthcoming CD, "David Chevan's Afro-Semitic Experience."  The Blues
Cafe is located at 71 Whitney Avenue in New Haven and the phone number is
(203) 498-2583.

AVADIM HAYINU: A New CD in the making, upcoming performances
Over the past year Warren Byrd and I have had the opportunity to perform our
concerts of works of Sacred and Spiritual Jazz all over the Northeast.  We
are now seeking performances for the 2000-2001 season and would appreciate
any help and support in obtaining these opportunities.  We have a few
confirmed concerts listed below.  In the early spring we received exciting
news, Warren and I were awarded a CSU Grant sufficient to record a follow-up
CD to AVADIM HAYINU.  The recording sessions took place on June 6 and 7 at
Horizon Recording Studios in West Haven under the supervision of owner and
chief engineer, Vic Steffens. We recorded enough music for a new CD and are
now editing the various tracks to create the final mix and sequence.  It is
tentatively entitled, "Let Us Break Bread Together," after the traditional
gospel hymn. Like Avadim Hayinu, our first release, the new CD will include
interpretations of sacred music from the Jewish and African-American
traditions.  We are currently seeking a record label that would be
interested in releasing this CD and we hope to release this album by the
fall.

We have a few dates on our calendar and expect more in the near future.  We
have been invited to participate in an interfaith Friday night service at
Temple Sinai in Summit, New Jersey on Friday, November 17.  We will be
giving a concert of sacred music for the Passover season at the Milford Fine
Arts Council on Saturday, March 24, 2001 at 8:00 p.m.  The Milford Fine Arts
Council is located at 40 Railroad Avenue South and the phone number for
tickets and further info is (203) 878-6647.
This late word in, we were just invited to give a concert for the Museum of
Jewish Heritage in Battery Park City on Thursday, April 12, during Passover.
More on this when I get the details.

Chevan-Cadwallader Duo and The Art of Trio
 The jazz duo of Rex Cadwallader and David Chevan will be appearing
Saturday, September 23 at New Haven's newest and most
beautiful and engaging jazz venue, Sage American Bar & Grill (formerly The
Chart House). Located at 100 South Water Street in New Haven, the room looks
out over the harbor, with Lighthouse Point in the distance, and provides
jazz fans and casual listeners with not only a gorgeous venue, but the very
best of intimate jazz. (Telephone 787-3466).

The Art of Trio concert series will continue this fall and spring in
Milford.  The Milford Fine Arts Council has invited us back for a third
year.  The series, which features a different guest artist at each concert,
will begin again on Friday, November 3.  On that night we will have a gala
CD release party featuring all of the artists on our new CD, The Art of
Trio.  Concerts begin at 7:30 p.m. and the Milford Fine Arts Council is
located at 40 Railroad Avenue South and the phone number for tickets and
further info is (203) 878-6647.   The other dates of the concert series are
December 1, January 5, March 16, April 20, and May 18.

Dates have now been set for the Fall Art of Trio series at the Town Hall on
Route 1 in Clinton.  The series begins on Friday, October 13, with Giacomo
Gates and continues with Ali Ryerson on November 10 and ends with Don Braden
on December 8.

We've also just completed recording and mixing a new CD, The Art of Trio, at
the University of New Haven studios.  The album features us in a trio
setting with five Connecticut artists, all of whom have appeared on stage
with us in the Art of Trio series.  Its a rather eclectic album in the best
sense of the word.  Each session took on the particular flavor of the guest
which makes for a rather interesting cross- section of the state of
mainstream jazz in Connecticut today. The guest artists are flutist Ali
Ryerson; vocalist Giacomo Gates; trombonist Jim Fryer; saxophonist Tim
Moran; and the Grammy award winning dobro master, Stacy Phillips.  The album
is scheduled to be released on or around September 9.

Finally, the Christ Church located at 84 Broadway in New Haven has decided
to host a series of interfaith sacred jazz concerts featuring us with
various guest artists.  The first concert will be on Sunday, December 17
with the church organist and flutist Ali Ryerson.  The other two concerts
are scheduled for February 18 and April 22.  For more information on these
concerts please call the Church at (203) 865-6354.

AFRO-SEMITIC EXPERIENCE
DAVID CHEVAN'S AFRO-SEMITIC EXPERIENCE is an ensemble-oriented offshoot of
my work with Warren and some klezmer gigs that BASSOLOGY took on over the
past year.  We've just agreed to perform every other first Monday of the
month, beginning with Monday, October 2, at the Buttonwood Tree in
Middletown, CT.  The other dates are December 4, February 5, 2001, April 2,
and June 4, 2001. The first set begins at 8:30 and it should be a pretty
intense evening of music.  The line- up for those evenings will include Rich
McGhee on soprano sax, Stacy Phillips on dobro and violin, and Warren Byrd
on piano.  The Buttonwood Tree is located at 605 Main Street in Middletown
and the phone number is (860) 347-4957.

As always, if you have any questions about the performances and activities
listed above, please give me a call at my office at (203) 392-6630 or write
to me at dchevan (at) snet(dot)net(dot) Thank you for all of the support I have
received
over the past few years.

Bassologically yours,

David Chevan

David Chevan's Music Events in Calendar Format

 Saturday July 29 Cadwallader Chevan Duo, Sage American Bar & Grill
(formerly The Chart House), 100 South Water Street, New Haven, (203)
787-3466

 Wednesday August 23 BASSOLOGY, Blues Cafe, 71 Whitney Avenue, New Haven,
(203) 498-2583.

 Saturday August 26 Cadwallader Chevan Duo, Sage American Bar & Grill
(formerly The Chart House), 100 South Water Street, New Haven, (203)
787-3466

 Saturday September 9, Cadwallader Chevan Duo, Sage American Bar & Grill
(formerly The Chart House), 100 South Water Street, New Haven, (203) 787-
3466

 Saturday September 23, Cadwallader Chevan Duo, Sage American Bar & Grill
(formerly The Chart House), 100 South Water Street, New Haven, (203) 787-
3466

 Monday, October 2 DAVID CHEVAN'S AFRO-SEMITIC EXPERIENCE 8:30 p.m. at the
Buttonwood Tree with Rich McGhee on soprano sax and Warren Byrd on piano,
Stacy Phillips on dobro and violin.  The Buttonwood Tree is located at 605
Main Street in Middletown and the phone number is (860) 347-4957.

 Friday, October 13, "Intimate Jazz: The Art of Trio" series, with Rex
Cadwallader and special guest, vocalist Giacomo Gates, 7:30 p.m., Clinton
Town Hall, Rt. 1, Clinton, CT, (203) 877-3400

 Monday, October 16 Southern Connecticut State University Creative Music
Orchestra, 8:00 p.m., Charles Garner Recital Hall (rm 115, Engleman
Building) SCSU campus, New Haven, (203) 392-6630

 Friday, November 3 at 7:30 p.m., The Art of Trio, at the Milford Center for
the Arts. with Rex Cadwallader and special guest TBA, at 40 Railroad Avenue
South, Milford, (203) 878-6647.

 Friday November 10, "Intimate Jazz: The Art of Trio" series, with Rex
Cadwallader and special guest, Ali Ryerson, 7:30 p.m., Clinton Town Hall,
Rt. 1, Clinton, CT, (203) 877-3400

 Monday, November 13 Southern Connecticut State University Creative Music
Orchestra, 8:00 p.m., Charles Garner Recital Hall (rm 115, Engleman
Building) SCSU campus, New Haven, (203) 392-6630

 Friday, November 17  Avadim Hayinu, with Warren Byrd, interfaith Friday
night service at Temple Sinai, 208 Summit Avenue, Summit, New Jersey, (908)
273-4921.

 Friday, December 1 at 7:30 p.m., The Art of Trio, at the Milford Center for
the Arts. with Rex Cadwallader and special guest vibraphonist Warren
Chiasson, at 40 Railroad Avenue South, Milford, (203) 878-6647.

 Monday, December 4 DAVID CHEVAN'S AFRO-SEMITIC EXPERIENCE 8:30 p.m. at the
Buttonwood Tree with Rich McGhee on soprano sax and Warren Byrd on piano,
Stacy Phillips on dobro and violin.  The Buttonwood Tree is located at 605
Main Street in Middletown and the phone number is (860) 347-4957.

 Friday, December 8, "Intimate Jazz: The Art of Trio" series, with Rex
Cadwallader and special guest, Don Braden, 7:30 p.m., Clinton Town Hall, Rt.
1, Clinton, CT, (203) 877-3400

 Monday, December 11 Southern Connecticut State University Creative Music
Orchestra, 8:00 p.m., Charles Garner Recital Hall (rm 115, Engleman
Building) SCSU campus, New Haven, (203) 392-6630

 Sunday, December 17 Chevan Cadwallader duo in an interfaith concert of
sacred jazz with guest flutist Ali Ryerson.  Christ Church, 84 Broadway, New
Haven, (203) 865-6354.

 Friday, January 5, 2001 at 7:30 p.m., The Art of Trio, at the Milford
Center for the Arts. with Rex Cadwallader and special guest guitarist Joe
Beck, at 40 Railroad Avenue South, Milford, (203) 878-6647.

 Monday, February 5 DAVID CHEVAN'S AFRO-SEMITIC EXPERIENCE 8:30 p.m. at the
Buttonwood Tree with Rich McGhee on soprano sax and Warren Byrd on piano,
Stacy Phillips on dobro and violin.  The Buttonwood Tree is located at 605
Main Street in Middletown and the phone number is (860) 347-4957.

 Friday, March 16, 2001 at 7:30 p.m., The Art of Trio, at the Milford Center
for the Arts. with Rex Cadwallader and special guest TBA, at 40 Railroad
Avenue South, Milford, (203) 878-6647.

 Saturday, March 24, 2001  Avadim Hayinu, with Warren Byrd,  at the Milford
Center for the Arts, 40 Railroad Avenue South, Milford, (203) 878-6647.

 Monday, April 2 DAVID CHEVAN'S AFRO-SEMITIC EXPERIENCE 8:30 p.m. at the
Buttonwood Tree with Rich McGhee on soprano sax and Warren Byrd on piano,
Stacy Phillips on dobro and violin.  The Buttonwood Tree is located at 605
Main Street in Middletown and the phone number is (860) 347-4957.

Thursday, April 12. Avadim Hayinu, with Warren Byrd, at the Museum of Jewish
Heritage.

 Friday, April 20, 2001 at 7:30 p.m., The Art of Trio, at the Milford Center
for the Arts. with Rex Cadwallader and special guest TBA, at 40 Railroad
Avenue South, Milford, (203) 878-6647.

 Friday, May 18, 2001 at 7:30 p.m., The Art of Trio, at the Milford Center
for the Arts. with Rex Cadwallader and special guest TBA, at 40 Railroad
Avenue South, Milford, (203) 878-6647.

 Monday, June 4 DAVID CHEVAN'S AFRO-SEMITIC EXPERIENCE 8:30 p.m. at the
Buttonwood Tree with Rich McGhee on soprano sax and Warren Byrd on piano,
Stacy Phillips on dobro and violin.  The Buttonwood Tree is located at 605
Main Street in Middletown and the phone number is (860) 347-4957.

* * *
David Chevan
Southern Connecticut State University
501 Crescent St.
New Haven, CT 06517
(203) 392-6630

email: chevan (at) scsu(dot)ctstateu(dot)edu
or check out my website by clicking here
http://www.chevan.addr.com