Re: Recording a dance from Fiddler

Dear Lori:

All you have to do is write the publisher a letter stating your intention
to record the song and ask for a  Compulsory License, which is available
to anyone -- once the tune has already been commercially recorded.
You would only need to get permission for First Use of a song.

After you "receive" your Compulsory License,  you have a legal
obligation to pay the publisher the current standard rate for the song
(about $70. per thousand, depending on the length of the song in question)
for every CD manufactured (including all promos and freebees).

The publisher or their agent will tell you where to send the cheques.

As long as your new arrangement does not obliterate the original melody,
there should be no problem.

=zol zayn mit mazl=

Wolf