From: Joe Kurland <ganeydn (at) crocker(dot)com>
To: World music from a Jewish slant <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patsh Tants
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 21:54:53 -0400
>From owner-jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org Sat Aug 19 19:02:35 2000
Sender: owner-jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org

Can't answer you about Patsh Tants, but it calls to mind an
interesting parallel.  Your description reminds me of a dance from
Dalmatia which was known as the silent kolo.  It was originally done,
so I was taught, during the period of Turkish rule, when indigenous
culture was supressed.  It was done without instrumental
accompaniment, to the sound of the dancers' stamping feet.
Interesting, though, that the stamping, as well as the unaccompanied
song that precedes the dance, was anything but silent.  (Shtiler
tants means quiet dance.)  Patsh tants (with accompaniment) is one of
the few Yiddish dances that were popular among international folk
dance groups where the silent kolo was also popular.

Zayt gezunt (be healthy),

Yosl (Joe) Kurland
The Wholesale Klezmer Band
Colrain, MA 01340