-----Original Message-----
From: owner-jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org [mailto:owner-jewish-music (at)
shamash(dot)org]On Behalf Of IKochinska (at) aol(dot)com
Sent: 18 May 2000 21:56
To: World music from a Jewish slant
Subject: Classical appearance of Yiddish singer Ilana Kochinska

Not Jewish, but definitely music:
Ilana Kochinska, who some of you may know from Yiddish music performances and
from the premiere of Jeffrey Schanzer's piece "The Past Is Present," is
singing the lead role, Susanna, in "The Marriage of Figaro" this weekend in
NY city.
In the supporting role of Basilio is another singer active in Yiddish
singing, Ethan Fran, who often sings G&S in Yiddish with the Long Island
Yiddish G&S troupe.

Please feel free to pass along to other folks in the greater NY area who
might be interested!
Thanks,
Ilana
Note: If you have any late-breaking questions, please call the number
indicated or send e-mail before 4 pm!
----------------------------------
Opera Avanti presents

Le nozze di Figaro ("The Marriage of Figaro")
Music by W.A. Mozart - Libretto by Lorenzo da Ponte
Fully staged, sung in Italian

Music Director:  Steven Crawford
Stage Director: David Blackburn
Assistant Music Director:  Elaine Smith Purcell

* Christopher Sirois (Figaro) * Ilana Kochinska (Susanna) *
* Robert Prowse (Count) * Karen Foster (Countess) *
* Jocelyn Rubin (Cherubino) *

with Peter Heiman * Richard Boyce * Georgette Hutchins *
* Ethan Fran * Igor Vieira * Sara Botkin *

St. Luke's Lutheran Church
308 West 46th St., between 8th and 9th avenues

Three performances:
Thursday May 18 and Friday May 19, 7:30 pm
Sunday May 21, 4 pm

Tickets: $15 general admission; $10 students and seniors

For further information, contact:
Opera Avanti (212) 579-0932 (Reservations, 10-5, M-F)
www.homestead.com/operaavanti
rachel1904 (at) aol(dot)com