Machine translation

>It is simple to add a web translation link(s), from altavista-systran's
>>babelfish.
Last year, I wrote an article based on a test I gave Babelfish: I ran the
most obtuse legal document through it that I could find.  As another
machine-translation agnostic, I was quite impressed, actually.  (Remember
the Chinese computer that translated "Out of sight, out of mind" "Invisible,
insane"?)  If anybody's interested, I can e-mail you the article (one of my
newspaper columns) off-list.  It was inspired by a very funny piece in The
Atlantic.

As to the piece on Jews and African-Americans in jazz, I found it, but it's
so old that it was written pre-desktop computer days, and it mostly reviews
the involvement of Jewish impresarios in bringing jazz to wider audiences
(particularly Norman Granz).  I don't have the energy to retype it (it isn't
worth trying to update as it stands).  Sorry, particularly to those who
thought they might like to read it.  It would probably be old hat to you.
If you're still really keen, I can fax it, but it's long.

Cheers,