Metropolitan Klezmer (free!) @the Jewish Museum Tues 6/13, NYC

      Metropolitan Klezmer brings our eclectic exuberance once again to NYC?s
Jewish Museum, playing Tuesday, June 13 from 6 to 9pm as part of the annual
Museum Mile Festival along Fifth Avenue.  The band?s free performance is
scheduled at the corner of Fifth Ave & 92nd Street, NYC, along the pedestrian
mall created for this evening (in case of inclement weather, we will perform
inside the Jewish Museum?s auditorium, also free of charge; entrance on 92nd
St).  All Fifth Avenue "Mile" museums give free admission during the
festival.  For more info & directions to the Jewish Museum, please call
(212)423-3200.  For more band info on the web, see <www.metropolitanklezmer.co
m>.

     Metropolitan Klezmer will perform music from our new CD ?Mosaic
Persuasion? (we hope to have copies for sale at this show! - also features
guests from our all-female sister band, the Isle of Klezbos) as well as from
our award-winning debut release ?Yiddish For Travelers? (distributed
worldwide by Stern?s Music).  Since the band?s formation in 1994, Metro's
variegated klezmer and Yiddish repertoire has evolved through the
collaborative mix of band members also seasoned in sounds from Albanian to
Zydeco.   Our line-up from New York?s downtown and World Music scenes --
veterans of stints with everyone from Andy Statman and Alhambra to the
Microscopic Sextet, Toshi Reagon and The Voodoobillies -- combines to make
fresh, vibrant versions of rollicking dance party tunes, evocative
instrumentals, folk songs (from labor anthem to lullaby to love lyric), and
Yiddish swing & tango adapted from Second Avenue theater and vintage
soundtrack finds.

    ?Led by drummer Eve Sicular, this excellent klezmer sextet offers
impeccably arranged yet electrifying renditions?  -  Richard Gehr, The
Village Voice

At this show:  ISMAIL BUTERA - accordion;  MICHAEL HESS - violin/ ney flute;
DAVE HOFSTRA - bass/tuba;  DEBORAH KARPEL - vocals;  DEBRA KREISBERG (Isle of
Klezbos)- clarinet/alto sax;  & EVE SICULAR - drumset/dumbeq.