Re: Slow hora, slowing down...

While there is a Romanian dance to music with this rhythm, I've
suspected that the Jewish use of the music was traditionally
something else.  My only clues are these:
        1.  "Firn di mekhutonim aheym"  means leading the parents of
the bride and the groom home.  Presumably these are people old enough
to be a bit tired after dancing through a wedding and so might be
walking rather slowly. Feels kind of good to walk at one step per
measure.
        2.  In Yidl Mitn Fidl, in the wedding scene, the bride does
her seven circles around the groom under the khupe to a Roumanian
Hora.

This evidence is not conclusive, of course.  Titles were given to
recordings with no need for them to have anything to do with what the
music was used for.  There's no certainty that movies reflected
reality.  But considering that the movies were made in Eastern Europe
with American stars and European extras, there's a good liklihood
that these scenes reflect something of the tradition.

Khupe marches (e.g. by the Boiberike Kapelye) were much more lively
than what a lot of people like  for processionals these days.  I
suspect that the dignified processional is borrowed from the
surrounding culture, and that the older Jewish tradition was more
like the exuberant singing and clapping with which the groom is led
from the khosn's tish (groom's table where the ketuba is signed) to
the badekn (veiling), continuing on the the khupe.

Zayt gezunt (be healthy),

Yosl (Joe) Kurland
The Wholesale Klezmer Band
Colrain, MA 01340