Re: first annotated piece

Ovadiah ha-ger (Ovadiah the Norman Proselyte; see Encyclopaedia
Judaica entry) was born in Oppido Lucano, in Southern Italy, of
Norman descent. He was a Benedictine monk. In 1104 (this makes it the
XII century, as Judith correctly remembered) he followed the example
of the Bari Archibischop whom, after witnessing a massacre of Jews in
Otranto by the Crusaders, had converted to Judaism. He travelled
around the Mediterranean and eventually reached Baghdad, where he
studied and started writing a Siddur and an autobiography (which is
the source of his biographical data).

Remember that Jewish communities in Southern Italy, especially
Puglia, where Ovadiah lived, where then extremely populated and
prosperous; Jews were expelled from Southern Italy at about the same
time that they were expelled from Spain, since that part of Italy was
then under Spanish rule.

Obadiah transcribed two piyyutim ("Barukh hagever" and "Waeda mah")
in adiastematic (= no music lines; or plainchant) Benedectine neumns:
they are written from right to left, following the Hebrew text, and
the clef is marked with a "dalet" (which can be interpreted as both a
D or an F -- depending whether "aleph" is A or C). Two scholars have
provided modern trascriptions. One of them is Hanoch Avenary, whose
transcription appears in the Enc. Judaica; the second one is Israel
Adler, who might have gotten it right: according to him, the clef
indicated an F, since in the case of it indicating a D, one of the
two piyyutim would produce a "tritone" between its first and last
note, an interval highly avoided (the Devil's interval) in Medieval
music.

Francesco

>I'm losing track of who said what, but I think Robert said the first
>annotated piece of Jewish music is "from the 10th century, not the
>15th". Actually, in between. There's very little that's decipherable
>with any reliability of any western-notated music in the 10th century,
>Jewish or otherwise. What we have is a 12th (I think, maybe 13th but not
>15th anyway) century manuscript of a couple of piyyutim fragments, one
>of which has been recorded quite often, including by the Boston Camarata
>(with a mystifyingly medieval-church-y style accompaniment as I
>remember). These were transcribed (or who knows, maybe even composed) by
>a convert TO Judaism instead of the other way around, known as Ovadiah
>the Proselyte, and they are written in plainchant neumes - BACKWARDS, to
>accomodate the Hebrew script! The manuscript is problematic because of
>gaps, and the clef, and a etc. but Avenary at least published it. I use
>an overhead transparency of it soemtimes in lectures so people can see
>how the church neumes are used for the Hebrew writing.

                    Centro di Studi sulla Musica Ebraica
           The Italian Center for the Study of Jewish Music

                      dr. Francesco Spagnolo, director

via della Guastalla,19   20122 Milano Italy    tel/fax +39 02 55014977
mailto:yuval (at) powerlink(dot)it                 http://www.powerlink.it/yuval