Re: heartless and soul-less ethnomusicologists

Dear Judith, Bob and you all...

First, let me thank you for reading so carefully my e-mails about the concerts
organized by the AMJ in Geneva. It's great that we, Jewish music lovers, can
communicate over the ocean "wi alte fraynt"!

But let's come to our point: Reading your comments, I understood perfectly that
the use of the word "ethnomusicologist" in this context could have been
shocking. But, be sure that it wasn't our purpose! Why should we outrage
ethnomusicologists in a concert announcement? What kind of promotion is that?

The staff of the AMJ includes, beyond music lovers and musicians some
ethnomusicologists and we sincerely admire their work that hinders the Jewish
music, our music, to sink into oblivion.

In fact, this clumsy sentence was written by. Rene Quiquerez, Katia Larvego's
manager! Paraphrasing Giora Feidman (!?), he probably tried to express his
feeling that Katia sings "mit harts un gefil", rather than with her brain. As I
never heard her, I can't know if this opinion is true (I'll try to answer this
question after the concert!)

As far as I know, Katia has Jewish "Yikhes", but she wasn't educated in the
tradition. That's not a good reason, before the concert, to "excuse her for her
idleness or egoism", nor to prejudge that "she didn't understand thoroughly the
traditions she sings": We wouldn't have invited her! Just sorry that nobody
(even among our ethnomusicologists!) noticed this stupid blunder and corrected
it before sending it to everybody.

Thanks to all for your remarks.

In name of the AMJ in Geneva:

Michal

Michel Borzykowski
12 chemin Franconis
CH-1290 Versoix
Switzerland
tel (+41/22) 755.41.23
fax (+41/22) 776.14.94
e-mail: borzykowski (at) infomaniak(dot)ch
homepage: http://borzykowski.users.ch

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->