(adv.) Just released! "Shekinha" by Frank London

a bisl yidishkayt is pleased to offer the lastest non-traditional, virtuousic, album from one of the foremost arranger/composer/musicians on the Jewish music scene today, Frank London.

As you know, London explores and is fluent in many musical styles - from the klezmer fusion of the Klezmatics, to the sometimes abstract explorations of Hasidic New Wave to Hasidic nigunim. In "Shekinha", he concocts jazz with Middle Eastern, traditional Jewish, rock 'n roll and Caribbean/African elements.

You will hear lots of freygish mode (typical of klezmer) and no krekhts (the moan/sigh also characteristic of cantorial and klezmer )? But you will hear - in the 9+ minute shabbos Bride - the renowned singer Adrianne Cooper singing Hebrew alternating with the luscious flute of Thomas Chapin, and London's trumpet?and the prayer avinu malkeynu sung by women's voices over a drone of bass clarinet, percussion, trumpet, and guitar.

Most of the seven cuts are jazz instrumentals which vary from frenetic (the 10 minute Pesakh Nign) to languorous? There are many virtuosic sax solos from Chapin, London's always-interesting solos and musical punctuation, some "Shaft" and Hendrix-esque guitar work, and lots of neat drumming from 5 different percussionists. The opening piece is an evocative, powerful 13 minute poem from Everton Sylvester about, we surmise, Jamaican childhood, that bears no immediately apparent relation to the rest of the album, but it stands on its own.

Cost is $16 + 2.50 postage

--------------------------Three ways to order--------------------------

1. Order on-line with your VISA or Mastercard: http://www.yiddishmusic.com

2. Call or fax our toll-free number - 1-877-YIDDISH.
(In area codes 781 or 617 please call 781-643-1957)

3. Send check or money order (in U.S. funds) to:
a bisl yidishkayt
P.O. Box 400331
Cambridge, MA 02140-0004

If you live in Massachusetts, please add 5% to the cost of your order before shipping.

GIFT WRAPPING IS AVAILABLE! And we can mail to your giftee.
Cost is $1.50 per item

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->