RE: Israeli Klezmer (was misirlou)

You said that so well Simon!!!!!!
So how come you let me argue all by myself when you have the evidence of your
clients remarks right there?

>In their effort to "go where no band has gone before" they have taken
>all but a drop of the "yiddishkeit" out of the music.

So true.

>as if
>to validate his/her music as having a Jewish consciousness. Well, in my
>opinion, too many of these performances have a "Jewish Unconsciousness."

That's a gem, Simon.

I wrote another long piece on this topic last week but didn't send it off.
I held on to it because I felt I was talking to the wall.

>What these "pioneers" don't realize is that the Klezmer phenomenon is
> waning. I have said more than once, that the demand is getting smaller
> for this music because the consumer is being neglected or totally
> ignored when these recordings are being promoted as "Jewish."  You can
> keep deluding the Jewish essence of the music only so far before it's
> lost it's "Jewishness" regardless of the fact that on the back of the
> recording it says "file under >Klezmer/Yiddish/Israel/World Beat".

Delusion is exactly right.
But now seriously, do you really think that klezmer is waning because
people are getting turned off by the latest flood of the fusioners?
This would be a serious matter.

Reyzl