December 25 concert and December 31 Oneg

Just a reminder about a couple of events in the New Haven area

DECEMBER 25 JEWISH FAMILY CONCERT

Congregation Mishkan Israel is presenting a Family Concert of Jewish music
featuring Klezmer music and
Jewish and Yiddish song for Saturday, December 25 at 5:30 p.m. at
Congregation Mishkan Israel in Hamden. Tickets for the concert (which I'm
hoping will include dancing and singing by everyone) are $1 for children and
$4 for adults. David Chevan has put together a pretty interesting group of local
Jewish musicians including Stacey Phillips, Richard Gans, Dorothy Goldberg,
Michael Ross, Dalton King and Stan Friedman. We'll begin with a Havdalah
service and then its right into the freylakh. Congregation Mishkan Israel is
located at 785 Ridge Road in Hamden. The phone number is (203) 288-3877.

NEW YEARS EVE PLANS

Rabbi Herb Brockman at Congregation Mishkan Israel has organized a special
New Years eve event called ONEG 2000. You see, New Year's eve falls on
Shabbos, a Friday night, which is  the Sabbath eve and after services we
always have an Oneg, a get together. The Rabbi suggested that we make it a
big party, a place in the community where people
can get together.  The Oneg will begin right after services end which is
sometime around 9:30 p.m. Since this is a reform synagogue there will be
music aplenty and for this celebration David Chevan has put together a band
that will play a wide variety of celebratory music from Klezmer to Swing.
The group, David Chevan's Afro-Semitic Experience, will include Chevan's
longtime piano partner, Warren Byrd, Bassology's drummer and vocalist, Ron
Braggs, the international fiddler and dobro
master, Stacy Phillips, multi-reed master, Richard McGhee, and a number of
extra-special guest artists. With musicians of this caliber its going to be
an great event. So, if you're not with us on December 31 I hope you are
somewhere that is as special for you as this night is going to be for all of us.

* * *
David Chevan
Southern Connecticut State University
501 Crescent St.
New Haven, CT 06517
(203) 392-6630

email: chevan (at) scsu(dot)ctstateu(dot)edu or chevan (at) csu(dot)cted(dot)net
or check out my website by clicking here
http://users.csu.cted.net/~chevan/