[Fwd: [kl] Galper's New Klezmer Book]

Maybe it will be in some interesting to someone.

-------- Original Message --------
From: CEField (at) aol(dot)com
Subject: [kl] Galper's New Klezmer Book
To: klarinet (at) sneezy(dot)org

A surprise from Abe Galper (retired principal clarinetist with the
Toronto
Symphony) arrived in my mailbox the other day. It was a copy of his
latest
book, "Eine Kleine Klezmer Musik." The book is a collection of 23 Jewish
folk
tunes which Abe compiled from recordings by the Jewish Russian
clarinetist
Belfeh. From what I understand, Belfeh was quite well known around the
turn
of the (last) century; Abe inherited the recordings from his first
teacher
Tzvi Tzipine in Palestine.

There are several appealing things about Abe's new book. First, the
tunes are
easy to play; there are a few trills indicated but the tunes are very
straightforward and accessible, even for amateurs like me. You can play
them
as written or add more trills, chirps, screeches, and whatnot as you see
fit.
Abe has also included guitar chords so that you can play with an
accompanist.

What's more, I like the way the book is nicely "comb" bound so that it
lies
flat on your music stand.

The original artwork deserves special mention. It was created by Abe's
daughter and is absolutely delightful. It makes me smile just to look at
it.

In my opinion, the book, which you can order from Abe
(agalper (at) pathcom(dot)com,
US$11.95 plus $2 for mailing) would be the PERFECT Hanukkah or Christmas
gift
(sometimes we Christians forget that Jesus was a Jew).

I am sure that, if you requested it, Abe would be happy to inscribe the
book
to a friend or to yourself. I will always treasure the inscription he
wrote
to me in my copy.

Finally, in the interest of ethical standards, I should point out that,
while
I am Abe Galper's chief global cheerleader, I do not earn commissions of
any
kind on the sales of his books and inventions. I am simply happy to be
Abe's
friend and to help him spread his love of clarinet to everyone I meet.

Congratulations, Maestro, on ANOTHER job well done!

Cynthia E. Field, A.G.C.G.C. (Abe Galper's Chief Global Cheerleader)
Wakefield, RI