Fw: Matts answer

Dear folks on the list,

I thought I would share Matt's response to me about Jewish music. His
inspiration and connection to further study is inspiring, and makes me think
that there is tremendous hope for teenagers in the world of cultural music.
I did receive his permission before sending this.
 Janice Harrison

Jewish music inspired me, especially playing for dances and retirement
>homes. There is a great feeling that comes out when you are playing for an
>audience that knows the repertoire and/or style that you are playing from.
>    My direct inspiration has come from family and people that I have meet
at
>KlezKamp and KlezKanada.
>    Because of the limited contact that we have with the members of the
>community that played this music before the revival (late 1970s) I think
that
>is Important to draw from as many old recordings as possible to learn about
>the style. The elders that play both the instrument that one plays and all
>others are important to study with. For someone who was born when the
revival
>was in its earliest stages I have the advantage of being able to learn from
>people that have been playing the music for 20 years or more in same cases.
>    Because of the recording technologies available at the being of this
>century many times the drums (the instrument that I play) were left out,
>lucky I have been able to study with two great drummers with direct links
>earlier players. Elaine Hoffman Watts, daughter of the great Jacob Hoffman,
>and Julius Epstein of the Epstein Brothers Klezmer Band. For the most part
my
>playing style is more tradition than many other people coming up today. But
>that doesn't mean that I won't play out when it is called for.
>    The modern performers that have inspired me are too numerous to
mention, as
>I think that everyone that I play with inspires me. Some of the big names
>that have a lot of influence on me are in no order; Hankus Netsky, Zalmen
>Moltek, Lorin Slamberg, Frank London, Sy Kushner, Henry Sapoznick, Judy
>Bressler, Mark Rubin and Sam Margolis. But their are many, many more, to me
>the unknown people are just as important as the people that are well know.
>    I hope to be able to share the culture with Jews and non-Jews in
America.