Re: The Duquesne University Tamburitzans

In my quest to hear more of the eastern european music that contributed to
the jewish folkmusic/klezmer I love so much I recently checked out a
presentation of the World Music Institue in NYC  "The Tamburitzans".
They are a  very talented student troupe of 35 musicians , singers and
dancers.
They are on schlolarship(subsidized by The American Hungarian Folklore
Centrum/ Pennsylvania Council of the Arts/ & dedicated to presenting a
collection of material from ethnogeographic regions representating folk
cultures past and present.  Not a bad concept to be emulated in a University
setting.
Croatian,serbian,slovenia(using a potters 'bass'), bohemia, bulgaria,
slovakia,
romania,greece, ukraine, hungary,lithuania, russia, macedonia  songs, dances
and instrumentation were all represented.
 One jewish song, dance would have been even more perfect.
I invite any comments from those who have heard this troupe.

Bob Fogel(Zugi)
Nyack NY