From: Joel Bresler <jbresler (at) ma(dot)ultranet(dot)com>
To: World music from a Jewish slant <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org>
Date: Tuesday, October 05, 1999 10:12 AM
Subject: Re: Help Wanted

Hi, I'll weigh in on the ones I mentioned or can help you with.

Good luck,

Joel

At 09:31 AM 10/5/99 -0400, you wrote:
>This is a list of Jewish music (broadly defined) artists that have
>caught my eye, most of them mentioned on our list.  (Apologies for
not
>having a complete list of who initially recommended them.  I have
been
>able to find many of my wants, especially from Simon for the more
>obscure ones.  These remain: either I haven?t been able to find them
>or would like to hear more about them before I make a purchase (and
my
>wife thinks that I simply buy everything).  Have the artists whom I
>mention all recorded?  Can anyone help me find their recordings?
>Please feel free to comment on them as well.
>
>B?Chiri, Yacoub (oudist and Chazzan of Djerba)
>  (Has he recorded?)

Yes, for Syncoop in the Netherlands. They take mail and email orders.
Start
at:www.musictrade.com/syncoop/

>Haik-Vantoura, Suzanne: La Musique de la Bible Revelee, Vol.2
>  (originally on Erato STU 71269(LP), long OP) (Is this available on
CD
>or cassette?)

Y'know, most people I've checked with think this is pretty whacked out
stuff...

>Halua, Moshe
>  (Is there a recording available?)
>(If you want to hear that style
>(Sephardic-Turkish-classical-Ottoman-vocal tradition)
>today, the cantor of the Thessaloniki synagogue, Moshe Halaua is the
>closest I know.
>(Josh Horowitz))

No recordings that I know of (and I think the same is true for Josh)

She's on a Mexican label. I got it at: www.isotank.com

>Katz, Leslie Brown: The Jewish Violin Sings  IMMA Music (1998)
>  (Does anyone even know about the contents of this recording?)
>Shloinke
>  (I?m pretty sure that I received an e-mail once on how to get this
>from the source.)
>Sod Ha'ehad ("The Secret of One")
>  (Has anyone heard this one?)
>Solomon, Ben Zion (w/ Noah from Inasense): Give Me Harmony
(Carlebach)
>(out of print?)
>Wieder Magan, Ruth: "Songs to the Invisible God" (Sounds True)
>  (Any more comments?)

Should be widely available, or go to their website: www.soundstrue.com
The
same compositions as the Jerusalem Theater original CD, but different
packaging.

>Yaldati, Lynn "Jiddische Lider" BarbaRossa Records ISBN 43214 68362 0
>  (Recommended for Gebirtig.  Where can I find it?)
>Old Jewish Yemenite Songs 1: Hataklit
>(I don?t recall who recommended this recording, but could they give
>some more information on it, e.g., label #)
>Jewish Culture Treasureö in Ukraine
>  (I do think that I have an address for the US distributor.  Has
>anyone ordered a copy?)
>Books: Gefen, Yonatan:  ?Hakeves Hashisha-assar? (The Sixteenth Lamb)
>  (I have the CD, but it doesn?t have the lyrics.)
>
>Thanks in advance for any comments,
>Bob

Joel Bresler
250 E. Emerson Rd.
Lexington, MA 02420 USA

Home:           781-862-2432
Home Office:    781-862-4104
FAX:            781-862-0498
Cell:           781-622-0309
Email:          jbresler (at) ma(dot)ultranet(dot)com