From:   Ari Davidow [SMTP:ari (at) ivritype(dot)com]
Sent:   Thursday, September 02, 1999 8:39 AM
To:     World music from a Jewish slant
Subject:        Re: Epstein Brothers

At 11:10 PM 9/1/99 -0400, you wrote:

> Dear Friends,
>
> Now deeper into my research on this documentary I have discovered some
names
> that keep showing at every turn. Who are the Epstein brothers and how
have
> they chisled American Klezmer music?

Janet,

Find the movie, "A Tickle in the Heart," which is now available in video. I
also have some reviews of several of their in-print albums at the klezmer
shack,

http://www.klezmershack.com/klezlist.html

The only brother still playing in the drummer, Julie. Pete Sokolow is also
"fifth Epstein Brother" given that he has played with them since the
Sixties.
Think very smooth, soulful blends of klezmer music and familiar Yiddish
theatre
tunes played extraordinarily well and you have a good start. In addition to
their albums, you can also hear them live on Joel Rubin/Rita Otten's
lovely,
"Patterns of Life" compilation from a Jewish music festival in Berlin
several
years ago.

Max Epstein, the bandleader, suffered a stroke a couple of years ago and no
longer plays, but he has passed on his craft at KlezKamp and elsewhere.

ari

Ari Davidow
ari (at) ivritype(dot)com
http://www.ivritype.com/