Schmaltz, Spuckbeutels, etc.

As a long-time lurker, I will take someone's recent suggestion and introduce
myself. I am Joshua Huppert, a violinist from Chicago and a member of Chicago
Klezmer Ensemble. I am brilliant but humorless, honest to a fault and
incredibly good-looking.

This stuff about the Klezmatics in Cleveland got my attention first because,
strangely enough, we played in Cleveland just a few days earlier, on Bastille
day. We played a concert at the Cleveland Museum of Art. We had more than 500
people  on a Wednesday night, and I think tickets were something like $12 a
pop, so it seemed like a success to me and to the organizers. Maybe some
people grumbled on the way out, of course I wouldn't know, but I did not hear
anyone asking for Rumania, Rumania.

I may be wrong, and I'm sure someone will tell me if I am, but my guess is
that our audience did not come with such narrow expectations as did the
Klezmatics audience a few nights later. We were playing in a very nice
concert hall as part of a series of world-music concerts. I suppose the
series has a mailing list, maybe a subscriber list, of people who come with
open ears to hear something new.

As others have pointed out here, the way the show is promoted and advertised
affects the audience and its expectations. If you want to sell tickets by
bringing in lots of people who don't much like to listen to music, but who
will come to a Jewish event just because they are Jewish, then you will get a
closed-minded, impatient audience. If you want an audience of music lovers
who will appreciate the music on its own merits, you have to
1) sacrifice the easy draw of the other crowd, and
2) overcome the reputation that all the 'pandering, schmaltzy' bands have
given to Jewish music.

I have to say, I think the Klezmatics are very entertaining. I can see why
they  might not try so hard, though. I know they play in Europe a lot, and
the audiences there are so much more receptive and enthusiastic that a band
could get spoiled.
We got back from Europe about a week before the Cleveland concert, and we had
gotten used to 2 or 3  encores, followed by standing ovation. It's a shock
when we got back to the good ol' USA, where people are racing out the door
before the applause is done. Not because they are rude, or unhappy, I think,
it's just what they do. I think if I played in Europe as often as Klezmatics
do, I would lose patience with American audiences.

To those who say that klezmer groups should change their acts and 'pander,' I
say that this business of what "klezmer" music is has gotten awfully mixed
up. The Yiddish theater songs, the Israeli music, that stuff was always
around, before the klezmer revival. As far as I know, that stuff was never
called klezmer music. The  klezmer revival movement was an alternative to,
maybe a reaction against the schmaltz. The good news was that Jewish music
was not just "bei mir" and "Hava Nagila," but that there was real Jewish folk
music that was just as cool, as exotic, as exciting, as musical, and as
varied as any other kind of folk or ethnic music. So a few people started
playing the old East European Jewish instrumental folk music, and they called
it klezmer music.

Now there are lots of klezmer bands, and they play the Yiddish theater songs
and the Israeli music. Or maybe they play jazz or or rock or broadway
musicals, or whatever they are into, and because they are Jewish they call it
klezmer. I know some people who want to dump the word "klezmer' altogether,
they say that the meaning has been strectched so much it's better to quit
using it. I'm not sure what words to use or not use, but I think we need to
find a way to distinguish between the completely different kinds of Jewish
music so that audiences can figure out that we're not really all the same
band, and each person can tell what they like and what they don't. There's
something out there for everyone, they just don't know what to call it.

Josh