-------- Original Message --------
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 14:58:00 -0400
From: Brian_Bender (at) suffieldacademy(dot)org (Brian Bender)
To: Owend (at) tp(dot)net, jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org

        This is Brian Bender from the Wholesale Klezmer Band.  The way I
personally feel about the scenario you described is that it's the
responsibility of the people hiring bands to choose an appropriate band
for their audience.  Also, a band should investigate what kind of
audience
they will be playing  for and adjust their presentation accordingly.
The
Klezmatics can play in a traditional style as well as (and possibly
better
than) many "traditional" bands, and perhaps they exercised poor
judgement
at this particular show.  But perhaps not.  It's entirely possible that
many audience members did in fact enjoy the show, but that you didn't
speak with any of them.  I feel that these things are very subjective.
        Personally, I would like to see more tolerance in general from Klezmer
musicians about the work of other musicians and bands.  We all feel that
our style is the best style, that's why each of us plays the way we have
chosen to.  But I try to remain open-minded about the work of other
bands.
 Judaism itself encompasses such a wide range of various types of
observance, including Orthodox, Conservative, Reform, Reconstructionist,
etc.  I personally feel that what makes Judaism so vitally alive is the
fact that all these various approaches exist simultaneously.  So why
can't
Klezmorim accept the fact that there's a wide spectrum of approaches to
the music being explored by various bands, and that all of these various
approaches taken as a collective form a healthy, vibrant whole.

                                        Brian Bender