RE: Emil Zrihan

Trying to recuperate 2 weeks of mail. Some days ago someone wanted info on
Zrihan. Here's a link to a listening sample and the text of the cd back-cover.
It's worth downloading Quicktime to be able to listen to him. He's truly
dynamite.
Christian

http://www.piranha.de/ALL/ALL_1260.HTML

Excerpt from inside liner notes:
The first part of this CD is devoted to Moroccan folk music and the second part
more specifically to the Judeo-Moroccan tradition. The accent is on the
'mawwals', or improvisations, which Emil Zrihan knows how to draw out and
modulate with the fantastic elastic prowess of his voice. Initially barely
supported and yet subtly enhanced by the instruments with their graceful
retinue of sounds, the voice states the theme of the mawwal and then invites
the oud, violin, accordion and darbouka to repeat it with spirit and gusto. The
upbeat rhythmic tempo with its Mediterranean flavour alternates with passages
imbued with the languor of the Orient, a mix which evokes the family
gatherings, the songs and the dances of the Sephardic culture.

Song titles:
1. Habibi Dyali
2. Mahani-zin
3. Bin El Barah Oul Youm - Mawwal
4. Bin El Barah Oul Youm
5. Ana Dini Din Alah
6. Kochav Tzedek - Mawwal
7. Kochav Tzedek
8. Lamoledet Shouvi Roni
9. Ma Yafou Dadaich - Mawwal
10. Ma Yafou Dadaich
11. Maka Shelishit - Mawwal
12. Maka Shelishit

Musicians:

Avraham Vanounou - oud
Haim Ohayoun - darbouka
Joseph Shriki - violin
Elie Kakoun - accordion
Baldi Olier - (flamenco) guitar (special guest)
Yossi Fine - bass guitar
Iurin Roni - percussion