Re: israeli military songs

At 01:28 PM 7/19/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Hello haverim,
>
>I am looking for CDs of Israeli/Jewish military songs. Can you recommend
>some recordings?

It depends what you mean. There really aren't Israeli (which is
not synonymous with "Jewish," of course--there is even less need
for Jewish military songs :-)) military songs, per se--not in the
sense of "The Halls of Montezuma" or whatever the Marine Corps march
is. On the other hand, there was a popular set of songs from the Six
Day War ("Songs of the Six Day War," or some such) with the most
"military"-sounding Israeli songs I can recall, as much as many of
them dealt with peace.

On the other hand, each branch of the Israeli military does have a
song troupe for entertainment of the troops. These songs could be
anything, and are often, as might be expected, patriotic, but also
love songs and whatever. For these, you are looking for recordings
like "1999 Israeli Army Entertainment Corp" or some such--for some
reason I am momentarily blocking. These groups have had the occasional
Top 40 hit in Israel, and singers such as Arik Einstein came out of
them, as did the members of "Poogy".

ari

Ari Davidow
ari (at) ivritype(dot)com
list owner, jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org
the klezmer shack: http://www.klezmershack.com/