Re: and industrial/gothic

I'm not familiar with Voltaire's music but based on the description below, he
and the music sound interesting.  Wasn't there a post a few months ago about
a Jewish Mexican Goth cd?

Gideon

PRO83 Voltaire The Devil's Bris CD1998

Tracks: 1.Ex Lover's Lover 2.Anniversary 3.Parade 4.The Man Upstairs 5.They
Know Me 6.Oweee 7.Snakes 8.Ravens Land 9.The Chosen 10.All The Way Down
11.When You're Evil 12.Shalom

Something wicked this way comes. Direct from the underground New York Goth
scene comes this strange brew of gypsy violins, driving rhythms, sardonic wit
and turn-of-the-century mayhem. Combining beautiful old-world melodies with
viciously sarcastic lyrics, Wagnerian bravado with Brechtian allure, Voltaire
has crafted twelve songs of love, loss, revenge and dismemberment sure to
bring a smile to even the darkest of souls.

Other Meaty Morsels:

* Voltaire's "other job" is as a director and stop-motion animator, producing
eye-catching, darkly morbid station IDs for MTV, USA Network, The Sci-Fi
Channel and numerous TV commercials. The Sci-Fi Channel spot featured his
song, "When You're Evil," and prompted thousands of email inquiries to the
Sci-Fi Channel and Voltaire websites.

* The Devil's Bris is produced by Richard Fortus (guitarist of Love Spit
Love) and features musicians whose past credentials include work with John
Cage, Elliot Sharp, David Byrne, Anthony Braxton and Enya.

* Voltaire is a staple of the New York City goth club scene and performs
regularly there. Voltaire has opened for Projekt's black tape for a blue girl
on several recent east coast tour dates and will be taking part in "The
Projekt Festival," a touring road show this summer with shows in Chicago, New
York City and Philadelphia.

* Voltaire illustrates/writes the Chi-Chian comic book (on Sirius). Another
Voltaire illustrated/written comic book, Oh My Goth (also on Sirius), is the
graphic novel of Voltaire's musician character, and will be released
simultaneously with The Devil's Bris.

and more to digest . . .

Voltaire is a singer/songwriter whose music has its roots deeply imbedded in
European folk music. His songs speak of love and, most often, the loss
thereof with the added twist of how best to seek revenge on the ones who have
hurt you. Lyrically, he explores and reveals those moments of vulnerability
most would rather not discuss and exploits with childish abandon those
fleeting streaks of cruelty we all feel but choose not to act upon or even
mention.

Voltaire's live shows, whether solo or with his skeletal orchestra, are
highly theatrical -full of props and stories. The visual quality of his
performances is not surprising; Voltaire has been directing commercials and
animating short films for the last ten years. He's best known for his
Hieronymous Bosch inspired station ID's for MTV.

Inspired by the films of Ray Harryhausen (Jason and the Argonauts, The 7th
Voyage of Sinbad), Voltaire began animating at the age of ten on a super8
camera. At that time, he says, "no three dimensional object was safe. My
brother's action figures, my sister's dolls, silverware, etc . . . If it was
missing, chances were that it was in the basement in front of my camera."

Eventually, piecing together snippets of information from fanzines, he was
able to teach himself how to make foam rubber animation models and animate
them with fluidity and realism. The films of his childhood landed him his
first directing job in 1988. That project was the classic MTV ID called
"MTV-Bosch." The stop-motion tour of the hellish "Garden of Earthly Delights"
went on to win several awards including a Broadcast Design Award and helped
to establish Voltaire's style of animation.

His strange stew of gothic darkness, baroque lushness and whimsical
surrealism has been seen in a score of television commercials for clients
such as Cartoon Network, USA and The Sci-Fi Channel. His short films which he
describes as being "an opportunity for me to be as strange and demented as I
care to be," have been seen at animation festivals around the world,
including the sinister "Rakthavira" which toured as part of Expanded
Entertainment's Too Outrageous Animation.

Presently, Voltaire is teaching stop-motion at The School of Visual Arts in
New York and continues to direct and animate for television, when not touring
with his band.