Re: Willie epstein

At 03:09 PM 7/18/99 -0400, you wrote:

>I just recieved  an E-mail froma friend in Florida, that Willie Epstein of
>the Epstein Brothers passed away. He was 80years old.
>Atragic Loss.

This is such sad news. I was so looking forward to seeing him and Julie at
KlezKanada this coming month. I've only known Willie for a few years. I met him
at the premier of the Epstein Brothers movie (A Tickle in the Heart), in San
Francisco, back in '96. We got to talking after the movie and wound up at the
party and talking more. The rest of the people there were mostly movie folks,
and klezmer, especially, the smooth, incredibly seductive version that the
Epstein Brothers play, was far from their minds. It was one of the most
exciting afternoons I would spend, being able to monopolize his time and talk
about him, the band's music, their retirement to Florida, and rediscovery, and
now the movie. I had just written a review of one of the albums that the
brothers' albums, and Willie was excited that I could download it right off the
internet and show it to him.

Willie was a class act all the way. His horn playing was a wonder. When the
Epstein Brothers play the old classics, whether you know the music or not, your
feet begin tapping and the world feels right. Listening to the Epstein Brothers
is a lot like listening to Alberta Hunter in her later years, or the Chicago
Blues AllStars or Flory Jagoda--these are people who have been making
incredible music for so long that everything extraneous has been stripped away
but the essence, the universal path.

I treasure seeing the band live--last time, at Ashkenaz '97, and listening
to Willie introduce songs that his older brother Max had introduced before him.
I treasure remembering Willie sitting back stage and telling stories.

His older brother Max hasn't been playing the last few years, and another
brother, Isadore ("Chizik"), passed away several years ago. This leaves just
Julie, and a host of klezmer grandkids inspired by the band and its music, to
carry on the tradition.

Damn, I miss him.

ari