Re: "dorky" Jewish Music? (And much more)

I guess my problem w/ George's original posting--notwithstanding his
entirely thoughtful and dignified reply--is that I think it almost
necessarily closes your mind/heart/kischkes to some music to describe a
whole genre of music (in his original, sweeping reference, including Baruch
Chait, Shmuel Brazil, and Dvekus [!] as well as Shlomo and Debbie et al.) as
"dorky"--and it doesn't honor the impulses and kavannah (loosely, intention)
that may have given rise to the music.  It's also not a very well chosen
word, if you look up its usual meanings; and it more or less suggests that
the music in question, whatever it is, isn't "cool."  But I don't care
whether any given niggun/melody, song, or symphony is or isn't "cool" by
today's standards; I care, only, whether it opens my heart--in/to joyful
exuberance or the deepest poignant yearning, or to/in something else. Sure,
some/much of Debbie's/Debbie-influenced music is, to my ears and heart,
shvach--it just doesn't make it (for me).  But much, or (technically) most
Irving Berlin was shvach, too.  Even much of Mozart--G-d help me!--is sort
of weak; or some of it, anyway.  (Well, maybe this _doesn't_ apply to
Mozart...) But the _best_ of Debbie is sublime and enchanting; and so,
maybe, is the best of some of her "imitators" (some of whom were composing
before, or simultaneously w/, her--and there are other styles of
contemporary liturgical folk-style music--e.g., various chant and a cappella
styles--that, like/love/detest them or not, aren't really imitating either
Debbie _or_ Shlomo).  A la Steerforth's injunction to David Copperfield, I
think we should judge any genre by its best, not its most mediocre,
examples; the contrary path is invariably taken, e.g., by diehard champions
of the so-called "Golden Age" of American popular music (which, by all
means, produced some wonderful, wonderful music)--who invariably "compare"
some nonpareil Gershwin or Rodgers or Kern at their best to some bubble-gum
drivel of the 50s or 60s. (Pre-ordained conclusion:  No contest!)  But they
don't compare "Easter Parade," or worse Berlin mediocrity, w/ "Mr.
Tambourine Man"  or "Violets of Dawn" or "Both Sides Now" or ... or...
or.... (Or to "Whispering Bells," for that matter.)
                                        So, in response to Gideon, many or
most English-language attempts at new liturgy don't make it for me,
either...but some do.  And sometimes renditions in English of Hebrew
originals _do_ "work" (i.e., I guess: inspire), I think; I include a few on
the (Open the Gates!) CD.  And I also include a lovely English-language
piyyut (hymn) in English that may be too ... something (sweetness and light?
New Age?) for some, but I think, in its language and (Shlomo-style)
presentation, "works" just beautifully to lift and open the heart.
  George's instinct to avoid trashing music he can't stand is a worthy
one--so why trash, ludicrously broadly and inelegantly to boot--an entire
genre of music?                                               George's
suggestion of a magazine devoted to the entire spectrum of Jewish music
(_not_ only Yiddish music--not what he suggested!) is also a worthy
one--and, as a long-time (book/magazine/etc.) editor and writer as well as a
lover and historian of Jewish and (American) folk music, I'd welcome being
involved if it can happen.  But the idea of a "mass magazine" devoted to
Jewish culture is, to my mind, an oxymoron. I think we should aim for an
intelligent, well-edited, appealing magazine and forget the mass.  If we
create it, the proper audience (of musicians, music-lovers, and others) will
come.                                   Finally, with respect to George's
not caring for the music of Pete Seeger, this must have been a garbled
e-mail transmission, no?  A momentary loss of consciousness?  Otherwise,
isn't there a music court that can administer lashes for this sort of thing?
  Heavens!  Well, To Everything There Is a Season, I suppose, including the
expression of incomprehensible opinions.  I'm All Mixed Up--Where Have All
the Folk Music Lovers Gone?  George had better spend more time Living in the
Country, oblivious to Old Devil Time, where he'll find the wholesome sound
of Pete's banjo suitably bracing, and restorative.  Well May the World Go
until then--Robert Cohen