Re: Accordian History

 Anyhow I heard on NPR( national public radio US)
> that the accordian was banned in Nazi era.
> True or false, if you would know,  and any source for such info?
Robert Fogel

"False. It was never banned completely, even though some people wanted
to.

The following appears in Henry Doktorski's book "The Classical Squeezebox,"
the quote is  by Christoph Wagner, the author of Das Akkordeon: Eine Wilde
Karrierre.

Wagner continued, "when the Nazis came to power, the growth of the
accordion slowed down.  The propagandists claimed that the accordion was
a 'nigger jazz instrument' for its close connection with modern American
dance music.  The Nazis tried to stop accordion bands from playing
classical music which for them was an 'abuse of the music of our great
masters.'  The president of the reichsmusikkammer -- the highest
institution controlling music in the Third Reich -- declared that 'now is
the time to build a dam against the flooding of our musical life by the
accordion.'"
  The decision to eliminate the accordion from Germany was never
enforced, however, because the Hohner company made a convincing appeal to
the government.  Hohner argued that the accordion was a genuine,
legitimate instrument and had a large repertoire of authentic German folk
music.  In addition, they claimed, if the accordion were banned, hundreds
and thousands of German music teachers and workers in Hohner factories
would lose their livelihoods."

(see http://trfn.clpgh.org/free-reed/history.html)

Jeroen Nijhof