What is Jewish Music?

Catching up on replying to/cleaning up my email, I can't help but respond to
Reuben Radding's
comments and the general discussion on synagogue music.  Amnon Shiloah in his
interesting book
"Jewish Musical Traditions" opens w/a chapter, Identity and Character of Jewish
Music, in which
he describes Jewish music as a musical Tower of Babel. The teens at Sholem
School who are taking
the "What is Jewish Music?" course I'm devising have identified various
factors, from modes and
instrumentation to language and subject matter that allow them to identify a
piece as Jewish.
It seems none of us (nor ethnomusicological scholars) can agree on a
definition, but each of us
"knows it" when we hear it.  Believing in the healthy pluralism and diversity
of Judaism and
Jewishness, this is not upsetting to me at all.

That said, I must admit that I agree w/the posters who argue for the
preservation of the
"traditional" nusakh (I am NOT going to take on what constitutes "traditional"
- maybe we should
say "currently familiar Ashkenaz" nusakh) and their incorporation into the
currently evolving
"American nusach".  Our culture, like so many others, has always been able to
adopt and
incorporate many musical modes and forms from surrounding cultures, yet doing
so in a way that
makes them our own [This is a good place for a plug for Brave Old World's
upcoming concert in NY
this week-end exploring cross-over between Jewish and Ukrainian musical styles
- wish I could be
there!].  I think the current so-called "klezmer revival" is the perfect
example of
understanding the musical building blocks of a past style and using them to
make a most
contemporary sound.  Perhaps some of that evolutionary process needs to be
translated into
synagogue music as well.  Might the Debbie Friedman style be the first step.
She's got the
Jewish devotional part of it down.  Now we need someone to tackle the music
part of it.  There
must be some candidates out there who just haven't achieved her degree of
success...Not being
part of the synagogue music world, I have no idea who they might be.

Shira Lerner