traditional nusach

It has been a pleasure to follow the discussion regarding various approaches to
liturgical music
engendered by Reyzl's reference to the article on Debbie Friedman (once we
moved off any attempt
at personalizing).  Thanks, Reyzl for starting it off!

As a result of the various comments, I realized that this list would be a good
source to ask for
some advice.  I am foolish/naive/brave enough to be trying to design and teach
a course for 13 and
14 year olds at our secular shule in LA entitled "What is Jewish Music?"  I am
comfortably
familiar with the various sources of information, music and recordings
regarding old and new
klezmer and various folksong forms.  I've brought in a guest lecturer on torah
cantilation and
gotten helpful material from her.  I'm now trying to figure out how to
introduce contemporary
secular Los Angeles teens to traditional nusach.  I'm familiar with Idelsohn
and am working my way
through Shiloah's Jewish Musical Traditions.  Simply playing a particular
nusach on the piano or
trying to teach them to sing some melodies in isolation isn't really
satisfactory. The recordings
that I'm familiar with are cantorial.  I am trying to give them more of a
"shtibele" feel.  Any
ideas or suggestions?  Thanks.

Shira Lerner