[no subject]

Actually, Idelsohn's book is where I first read about Lewandowski.
Idelsohn devotes a large portion of his chapter on Western European
chazzanim during the advent of the Reform movement to the guy, describing
how he rose from virtually no musical background or yiches, plus an
impaired nervous system, to become one of the more well-regarded composers
of modern synagogue music during his lifetime.  Unlike some of his
contemporaries who applied German Lied style tunes and Church music to
their settings of synagogue prayers, he is described as incorporating
elements of traditional Jewish music in what was then a modern style, such
as four-part singing with and without organ accompaniment. Apparently once
he reached his high position, he became despotic and squelched any
up-and-coming potential competitors.  This just seems like the stuff a
biographer interested in Jewish music might see as a worthwhile project.
So far, though, I've been unable to find anything substantial.

-Larry