Re: books on Jewish music

I was a bit surprised not to see the Shiloah mentioned more prominently.
As for Tenement Songs, it's a fascinating book and the research and
writing are impeccable as usual with Slobin.
I would also add a couple more titles that I am personally fond of:

Ruth Rubin: Voices of a People -- Yiddish folksong, approached more as
texts than from a musical standpoint but an important book
Robert Fleisher: 20 Israeli Composers: Voices of a Generation --
interesting oral histories of major Israeli  figures in the western art
music tradition; addresses some of the questions that keep turning up
here on the list.

George Robinson

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->