[no subject]

David chevan's FiNaL newsletter foR 1998

Chevra,

A quick update as to the activities and whereabouts of a Connecticut based
Jewish musician.  Please delete or peruse as you wish.

December 25 has traditionally been an odd little day for me and my family.
After all, what is there to do if you are Jewish on Christmas?  Most of my
Jewish friends order Chinese and go to the movies.  This year in the New
Haven area, however, there is something else you can do.  I have put
together a Family Concert of Jewish music featuring  Klezmer and Yiddish
song for Friday, December 25 at 4:00 p.m. atCongregation Mishkan Israel in
Hamden.  Tickets for the concert (which I'm hoping will include dancing and
singing by everyone) are $1 for children and $4 for adults.  I've already
put together a pretty interesting group of local Jewish musicians including
Stacey Phillips, Dan Rosenthal, Dan Lovins, Michael Ross, Dalton King and
Stan Friedman.  Congregation Mishkan Israel is located at 785 Ridge Road in
Hamden.  The phone number is (203) 288-3877.

And if you're looking for a jazzy New Year I'll be spending my New Year's
eve with the talented pianist, Ken Trapp at Jacob Marley's.  We start at
7:00 and reservations are suggested.  Jacob Marley's is located at 40 Post
Road in Orange.  The phone number is 795-9999.

It looks like during the month of January Warren Byrd and I will have a
number of opportunities to perform pieces from our collaboration, AVADIM
HAYINU--Once We Were Slaves, both in Connecticut and on the road.  First, on
Thursday, January 7, at p.m. we will be performing at the AlterKnit Theater
of the Knitting Factory in New York City.  The Knitting Factory is located
at St. in New York.  The phone number for tickets and reservations is (212)
219-3006.  Then, on Saturday, January 16 we will give a concert at 8:00 P.M.
at the Anshe Emeth Memorial Temple on 222 Livingston Ave in New Brunswick,
New Jersey.  Finally, on January 18, which is Martin Luther King Day, we'll
be participating in an afternoon program (about 3:00 p.m.) In the Mellon
Arts Center atChoate-Rosemary Hall. Choate Rosemary Hall is located at 333
Christian Street  in Wallingford.  For further information please call (203)
697-2653.  Later that same day, at 8:30 p.m.  Warren and I will join
saxophonist Richard McGhee at the Buttonwood Tree in Middletown, CT for a
Martin Luther King program that Richard has been working on for some time.
The Buttonwood Tree is on Main St. in Middletown.

The trio version of  BASSOLOGY just celebrated its first anniversary.  We've
now been playing every Saturday evening in Avon in the tavern at the Avon
Old Farms Inn for over a year and we're still going strong.  The trio
usually features Chris Casey on piano and Ron Braggs on drums and singing.
We play from 7 to 11 p.m. and reservations are recommended.  We have a lot
of fun at this gig, and its given Ron an opportunity to really open up with
the vocal numbers. If you've heard Ron recently I think you'll agree that he
has come into his own as a song stylist.  The Inn is located at the corner
of Routes 10 and 44 in Avon and the phone number is (860) 677-2818.

Finally what with the holidays coming up you may feel like giving the gift
of music (I think that is a trademarked phrase) so, if you are interested in
obtaining either the new BASSOLOGY CD, THE FEELING THAT I GET or my duo CD
with Warren Byrd, AVADIM HAYINU--ONCE WE WERE SLAVES, they are available at
a handful of music stores in the area.  A noted jazz distributer, North
Country has agreed to handle our national and international distribution.
But you can also get either CD by mail by sending me a check for $16 per CD
at P.O. Box 6183, Whitneyville, CT 06517.  For those of you who are internet
shoppers AVADIM HAYINU is also available at www.jewishmusic.com.  There's
even about four minutes of the CD sampled for RealAudio if you'd like to
give it a listen.

Bassologically yours,

David Chevan
David Chevan