Re: Yehoshua Rochman

At 10:03 PM 12/2/98 +0000, you wrote:
>Would someone please like to give some mevines on on Rochman's Klezmer
>Violin.

David, I don't know what "mevines" means, but assume that you were asking
for an opinion.

In mine, Rochman's "Klezmer" violin is not.  He plays Jewish tunes with
great energy, no small technical proficiency and possibly even feeling, but
there is absolutely no yidishn tam (to my ear, at least).  In fact, the
recording greatly resembled Perlman's "Tradition" recording of a few years
back, in terms of overall classical tone quality and total lack of anything
Yiddish about it.

For what it's worth....

Sherry Mayrent
Wholesale Klezmer Band