introd. to Sefer Hanigunim--translation?

In 1948 the Nichoach Society (Lubavich) published the SEFER HANIGUNIM, which
includes some 175 melodies (niggunim) and an extended introductory essay in
Hebrew by Rabbi S. Zalmanoff.  Has anyone ever come across (improbably, I
gather) an English translation of that essay?  Or know how/where I might find
one?  Or (even more improbably?) want to essay one?  I'm a Jewish music
historian/lecturer/collector/lover; I daven in Hebrew but can hardly make my
way thru this text on my own, and would love to be able to read and study it.
Thanks for any thoughts--Robert Cohen

JEWISHMAIL: a service of the Jewish Communication Network, http://www.jcn18.com.