[JEWISH-MUSIC:5090] Zemer (Brazilian Band)

        My name is Mauro Perelmann and I am the leader of the Zemer band,
the first  jewish professional band, in Brazil, that includes klezmer
repertoire.
        Jews, here in Brazil, don't know almost nothing about the klezmer
revival. People like to hear a more tradicional and known stuff, like Sissu
et Yerushalaim, Halleluia, Heveinu Shalom, etc.
        Despite our efforts to begin the Klezmer mouvement here in Brazil,
we are facing many difficulties. We have played in some organizations, like
Hadassa, Naamat, but the majority of the  local organizations want free
concerts, as they say "it's a great opportunity to show your work". I am
afraid that in a short time, my musicians will leave the band, cause there
are no gigs and people must get the "parnusse".
        How did you succeed on bringing this forgotten culture to the Jewish
community? Of course I know the huge difference about the American Jewry and
the Brazilian one. But I still believe that this marvelous culture, the
Yiddish Klezmer culture is a heritage that belongs to all ashkenazi and even
all jewish communities in the world. And I am trying to take and to play my
piece.
        If anyone have an idea or experience to tell, I will thank you very
much.
        I apologize about my bad english.

        Thanks

        Mauro Perelmann

        P.S Ari, I would like to tell you that your review about The Well
(Chava Alberstein and the Klezmatics) is wonderful. In special, when you
write about the Hebrew and the Yiddish sharing the  same stage. I think it's
the "shvil hazahav".

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->