Re: Klezmer and Ska

>  Subject: klezmer and ska?
> Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 15:35:11 +0100
> From: gerbn (at) wxs(dot)nl (Gerben Zaagsma)
> To: World music from a Jewish slant. <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org>
>
> Dear all,
>
> with the recent discussion on 'punk' and klezmer I suddenly rembered having
> read something somewhere about (I think it was) the Klezmatics who did
> something with music by the Skatalites. Could anyone tell me if this is
> true? It sounds like the best of two worlds and actually not illogical:
> sometimes when I hear klezmer I can almost hear the backbeat..
>
> MOI
> Gerben

> Gerben Zaagsma
> Koninginnelaan 35
> 9717 BN  Groningen
> The Netherlands
>
> tel.:       0031-(0)50-3131304
> email:    gerbn (at) wxs(dot)nl

I can certainly hear what you mean. And you're not alone:  Check out a new CD
called "King
Django's Roots and Culture" released on Triple Crown Records. I reviewed it a
couple of
weeks ago for Jewish Week in NYC and liked it a lot. The ska-Yiddish connection
works well
on this recording (except for a version of "Haveinu Shalom Aleichem" which is
pretty
silly).

George Robinson

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->