From:  robres (at) channel1(dot)com[SMTP:robres (at) channel1(dot)com]
Sent:  Friday, October 23, 1998 1:55 PM
To:  World music from a Jewish slant.
Subject:  verterbikher

Kevin Cohen wrote:

>other than by being a native speaker, where do you find such things?  is
>there another dictionary, besides weinreich's magnum opus?

I sympathize!  That's why native speakers like Wolf (and Michael?) and my
aunt are so handy!

A really wonderful Yiddish dictionary is the reprint of 2nd ed. of
Alexander Harkavy's 1926 Yiddish-English-Hebrew Dictionary.  The only
khisorn (fault) is that it doesn't have an English-Yiddish section, as
Weinreich does (although earlier edition did, someone with an original copy
told me).  I also understand that it is temporarily out of print.
Published by Schocken books & YIVO.

Dena Ressler

oops!  Someone else had the same reply.  Similar to Reyzl, sometimes I
answer my mail backwards...

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->