Re: Chiribim...

>In a message dated 9/28/98 2:01:57 PM, you wrote:
>
><<I think "Ciribim ciribom" was a popular Italian song at the turn
>of the century, as I've seen early 78s with it, possibly ocarina
>solos by Mose Tapiero or accordion solos by Guido or Pietro Deiro.>>
>
>The song you are probably thinking about is Chiribiribim (spelling?) which is
>an Italian song, but not the same...
>
>I was told by someone who had researched "Bei Mir Bistu Shoen" that the first
>artist to record that tune was Guy Lambardo.!!!!
>Simon
>Hatikvah Music
>Los Angeles, Ca
>Klezcorner (at) aol(dot)com

Well said, Simon,
the song is "chiribiribim" (which continued: "che bel faccin" = what a
pretty little face), as my grandma used to sing it to me.
The "chiribim chiribom" of the Yiddish one has nothing to do, melodically
nor textually, with the Italian one, as far as I know. It's more likely to
be connected with the chassidic "bim bom" as in the famous "Makht der
khosidl bim bom" which has also been found in the Beregovski's Kiev wax
cylinders archive a couple of years ago.
Regards,
Francesco

                             YUVAL ITALIA
                Centro di Studi sulla Musica Ebraica
           The Italian Center for the Study of Jewish Music

                    dr. Francesco Spagnolo, Director

via della Guastalla,19    20122 Milano Italy   tel/fax +39 2 55014977
mailto:yuval (at) powerlink(dot)it               http://www.powerlink.it/yuval