From: Seth Rogovoy <rogovoy (at) berkshire(dot)net>
Subject: David Krakauer

Here's an article I've written for publication in the Berkshire Eagle on
Aug. 22, 1996.

David Krakauer Makes Old-world Klezmer New

by Seth Rogovoy

WILLIAMSTOWN, Mass., Aug. 22, 1996 --Klezmer is typically
regarded as an Eastern European-derived, Jewish party music from
the 19th and early 20th-century, played by traveling musicians at
weddings and other joyful occasions and featuring fiddle,
clarinet, accordion and horns. For the most part, klezmer has
remained an ethnic music, only occasionally surfacing in more
popular arenas, most notably in the klezmer-like opening bars of
George Gershwin's "Rhapsody In Blue," in the klezmer-like tones
of jazz clarinetists Benny Goodman, Artie Shaw and Ziggy Elman,
and through the gauzy, musical filter of Broadway's "Fiddler On
the Roof."

But over the last two decades or so, there has been a revival of
interest in klezmer music, with repertory bands, most notably the
Klezmer Conservatory Band and the Klezmorim, sprouting up around
the country. Interest in klezmer has perhaps peaked this summer
with "In the Fiddler's House," the album and tour of summer sheds
by violinist Itzhak Perlman and several well-known klezmer
groups, including Brave Old World, the Klezmer Conservatory Band
and the Klezmatics...

Although Krakauer is Jewish and was raised in a very musical
home, he never heard klezmer music while growing up. "The only
Jewish tune I heard was `Hava Nagilah,'" said Krakauer in a
phone interview from his apartment in New York City. "I didn't
grow up with any Chanukah songs or any Israeli songs. I basically
grew up listening to Schnabel playing the late Beethoven piano
sonatas, and when I was eleven Sidney Bechet."

****
Yet when he finally began learning and playing klezmer music
about 10 years ago, it was as if he had been hearing it all his
life. "As soon as I started to play klezmer music, I had the
feeling that I knew it very well," he said. "Somehow there was
this incredible recognition, and I had to conclude that what I
was hearing in the music was the sound and the inflection of my
grandmother's very heavily, Yiddish-tinged English.

"I realized that klezmer music was the Yiddish language in music,
and I felt in a certain way that I had found a kind of musical
home." ...

"To find a music that can stretch back to my heritage, my
lineage, my grandmother's generation, to the language of my
ancestors, this for me was somehow very important," said
Krakauer...

[This column originally appeared in the Berkshire Eagle on Aug.
22, 1996. Copyright Seth Rogovoy 1996. All rights reserved.]
Seth Rogovoy
rogovoy (at) berkshire(dot)net
http://www.berkshireweb.com/rogovoy
music news, interviews, reviews, et al.