Re: Shmaltz

OK, the linguists will get this better, here's a try.

Shmaltz means "fat" not necessarily chicken fat unless shmaltz herring is
considered yam chikcen and that is a whole 'nother thread!

The German for fat is Dick sort of like Thick in English.

So here it goes:

Shmaltz is  the Yiddish equivalent of "laying it on thick".  musically it
usually refers to sentimemtality as already noted below.  I notice that a
lot of Jewish musicians would tend to do a VERY legato run, and then spice
it with a some formattas (sp?) etc.

I hope this helps!

Good Shabbos
Rich Wolpoe