Jewish Music on Italian National Radio

**** TO ALL THE FRIENDS OF YUVAL ITALIA, SCHOLARS IN MUSICOLOGY AND JEWISH ****
           **** STUDIES, MUSICIANS, JOURNALISTS, RESEARCHERS ****

                                                         Milan, May 17, 1998

        The first year in the life of Yuval Italia - the Italian Center for
the Study of Jewish Music, culminates with an important media achievement.

        The weekly radio program on Jewish Musicial Traditions which Yuval
has broadcasted for a year on a local radio station in northern Italy has
been chosen by Italy's state-run radio, RAI, for broadcast on its nationwide
network.

        This is the only such regular program on Jewish music and musical
traditions in Italy. From June 7 until Sept. 20, it will be aired every
Sunday afternoon from 6 to 6:45 p.m. Francesco Spagnolo, Yuval Italia's
director, will continue as producer and host.

        Yuval Italia hopes to maintain the style and format of the show,
mixing recorded music with interviews and live performances by leading
Jewish musicians and cultural figures. So far, our guests have included
Giora Feidman, Brave Old World, Di Naye Kapelye, and Italy's own Moni
Ovadia, among others.

        Many musicians and researchers have already helped us enormously by
contributig CDs and other material to our growing musical archive.

        Among them, prof. Israel Adler and prof. Edwin Seroussi (Israel);
Ladino and Sephardic singers Esti Kenan Ofri (Israel), Isabelle Ganz (US),
Judith R. Cohen (Canada);  klezmer bands and musicians Brave Old World,
Joel Rubin, Giora Feidman, Klezmer Conservatory Band, Di Naye Kapelye,
Maxwell Street Klezmer Band; classical musicians and record labels from
Israel, Europe and the
US...

       We thank you all and are proud and grateful for your interest!

       Thanks to your help, our collection of Jewish music recordings is
quite large by now -- but that is by Italian standards! It includes only
about one hundred CDs.

        We would greatly appreciate any and all further help in enlarging
our sound archive, and making all materials available for broadcasting. As
you might imagine, traditional recordings are expecially valuable, but also
modern and contemporary interpretations will be used in order to show to
the Italian public the variety and richness of the Jewish musical
traditions throughout the world.

        Musicians, composers, record labels, can directly send recorded
materials to Yuval Italia at the address below.

        And please spread the news to whomever it may concern. Any possible
help will be highly appreciated.

       Mille grazie!

                                YUVAL  ITALIA
                    Centro di Studi sulla Musica Ebraica
              The Italian Center for the Study of Jewish Music

    via della Guastalla,19    20122 Milano Italy   tel/fax +39 2 55014977
    mailto:yuval (at) powerlink(dot)it
http://www.powerlink.it/yuval