Re: Re: Klezmer Clarinet /Trumpet Players

Years ago, before I took over the store and renamed it Hatikvah Music.  The
shop, "Norty's Music' was a hang out for  young Jewish would be musicians.
Fairfax High School is only a half a block away, and was 99% Jewish and the
record shop was a big after school hang out.

Many famous Jewish musicians(singers/composers/producers) came out of this
store:Jerry Leiber (composer/producer) "Jail House Rock", "Hound Dog", "Kansas
City","Stand By Me",and Dozens of others) , Phil Spector ("To Know Him Is To
Know Him", "You Lost That Loving Feeling", "Be My Baby" + others), Steve
Barri(Composer/producer: "You Baby", "Eve Of Destruction", Mama Cass, Grass
Roots,Four Tops, B.B.King+)

There was a young trumpet player who also wanted to get into Rock and Roll,
however , unlike the others who had no experience with Jewish music, he played
Jewish Music at weddings and Bar Mitzvahs-making him a real Klezmer. His name,
Herb Alpert. After hitting the "Big Time" with The Tijuana Brass, one of his
albums, he included a tune "My Little Town".  When he had played that tune at
Bar Mitzvahs, he called it "Mein Shtetelle Belz"

Simon
Hatikvah Music
213)655-7083
Klezcorner (at) aol(dot)com