Re: klezmer band names

>>On another topic, and I'll be brief, Hankus Netsky, who says the name
>>"Klezmer Conservatory Band" started as a joke implying the existence of a
>>conservatory for klezmorim, once suggested a discussion on why klezmer bands
>>like to give themselves silly names.  This was in response to a group called
>>The Hava Nagila Monsters.  Any takers on band names?

----------------
The name of my klezmer band is Yid Vicious. Why? Because we're a bunch of
unfortunate smart asses, of course. My advice to future klezmer bandnamers
is to avoid puns, no matter how clever you think they are at the time. You
are bound to get sick of them eventually. When I first came up with Yid
Vicious (I've since learned that other entities have used this name
before), it didn't occur to me that anybody would be offended by the name,
but lots of people have been. I can live with that, although I no longer
address those complaints, since I am sicker of them than I am of the name,
and none of them are particularly rational anyway. But now I am determined
never to change the name of the band because I really don't want to give
certain individuals the satisfaction of thinking that their input had
anything to do with it. So now we're stuck with a band name most of us no
longer like, all because we couldn't resist a good(?) pun.

Bob Jacobson
bjacobs (at) globaldialog(dot)com

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->