Re: Celtic/Klez and wider audiences

>As a non-Jew, I strongly agree that there is a potentially much greater
>public for Klezmer and other Jewish music beyond the Jewish community.
> Looking for klezmer performances led me to Ari's list.  It could be that an
>assumption that non-Jews would not be interested in concerts has, through
>publicity/media selections, become somewhat self-fulfilling.
>
>The last klezmer concert I attended was at a temple and a member tipped me
>off about it I'd have missied it.

I whole heartedly concur with what Stan says.
We find that the "world" music and folkloric scene is  much more interested
(and responsive) and most of our work comes from that area.  The Jewish
community in Western Australia is relatively small and our colleagues in
another band which does specialize in klezmer finds itself playing rock and
roll at weddings and bar mitzvahs.  At  Jewish "folk" concert in 1996, the
majority of the performers (dancers and musicians) were non Jews, playing a
wide range of music from modern Israeli pop to hard core klezmer.

Bill
Red Sea Pedestrians

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->