Re: Wedding music?

>A freind of mine called me with a very complicated story about a friend of
>*hers* getting married - the upshot of the story was that she wanted some
>information about Jewish music pieces, leaning toward the classical, and
>the only person she could find of any interest was Solomon Rossi. She
>intends to have instruments appropriate to the 16th century at the wedding
>and wants *sheet music* (i.e. she needs to know a composer, an appropriate
>piece, and where to get the sheet music)
>The only piece that she found was a piece called something like "Lemi
>Ehpoz" although heaven knows how many translations it's gone through until
>I got it. Anyone with info on this would be gratefully thanked, and
>probably slobbered over with gratitude.

Rossi wrote the first extant Jewish choral music in 3,4,5,6,7,& 8 parts,
all of which has been republished in 3 volumes by the Cantors Assembly.

He also wrote a lot of instrumental music, but I am embarrassed to say
that I am not sure where or even if that has been published/republished.

The choral music is dated 1623, so it fits her time period well.  When
I get to the shul next I will look to see if any of the choral settings
sound like the title she mentioned.  If anything fits, it can probably
be recast for instruments if there is enough time before the wedding.

                                                    Shabbat Shalom,

                                                    Cantor Neil Schwartz

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->