Re: Galicia

At 11:13 AM 11/13/97 -0500, Stan T. wrote:
>I think the Spanish Galicians poke fun at their own pipe music, calling the
>instument "gaita Gallega" - roughly "Gaelic cat."

Is that really where that name comes from?  I assumed "gaita" was a cognate
to "gaida" (or gajda), which seems to mean "retired goat."

_______         Owen Davidson, Amherst, Mass.
        The Wholesale Klezmer Band

        The Angel that presided o'er my birth
        Said Little creature formd of Joy and Mirth,
        Go love without the help of any King on Earth.

                                Wm. Blake

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->