Re: ¿origins of klezmer tonality?

>>Maybe this is a difference between Hazzanut and Klezmor.
>
>Maybe it is. I think it's great we're even having this discussion.

I agree.  I've long thought that a good solo Klezmer instrument
sure sounds like good Cantorial improvisation in certain types
of melismatic "riffs", especially if the instumentalist tries to
include the occasional "krechtz".  Who knows, maybe all these
years Hazzanim have been imitating clarinets and violins instead
of the other way around ...  :)

I have enjoyed this learning and sharing, and hope to meet you
and some of the other serious Klezmer musicians in person some day.
I am a 3-hour bus ride from NYC.  BTW, in November there is a big
"Voice of Ashkenaz" conference at JTS, and I think that Eastern
European music will be included with all the Central European.

Anyway, Shanah Tovah to you and all the other Jewish musicians
who are reading this!
                                                         Neil S.

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->