Re: Bluegrass & klez

>>Several years ago I saw a film on Klez where one of the revivalists
>>spoke about coming to the music out of a bluegrass career.  Since
>>then I've heard that others also started out that way.
>

>You are probably talking about Andy Statman who started with groups
>like Breakfast Special. He played mandolin and sax with that group
>prior to his becoming a klezmer clarinet player after studying with
>Dave Taras.

I am 99% sure that the person you are referring to in the film about
klezmer revivalists is Henry (Hank) Sapoznik who came to klezmer music
from bluegrass music.  The film is "It's A Jumping Night in the Garden
of Eden" directed by Michal Goldman.

Andy Statman was playing various kinds of music, including bluegrass and
Greek before he began playing Jewish music.  He played Jewish music for
several years before studying with Dave Taras.

>>Does anyone have any information on the connection between bluegrass/
>>country music and the klez revival?  Are there any musical similarities
>>in the two musics, or is it just a coincidence?
>

>>While not klez, Kinky Friedman has several excellent country songs on
>>Jewish themes including the humorous "They Don't Make Jews Like Jesus
>>Anymore" and the moving and subtle holocaust song "Ride Em Jewboy." Does
>>anyone know of other Jewish-themed country or bluegrass songs.

Fabrengen Fiddlers of the Washington DC area (lead by David Shneyer)
first played bluegrass and country music in the early 1970's and then
came to Jewish music.  Is it klez?  Haven't heard their music in years.
I know that they have played and sung Yiddish folk and theater songs
as well as klezmer music, once klezmer became popular.  I also know that
David Shneyer doesn't really consider himself a klezmer.

Reyzl Kalifowicz-Waletzky

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->