The Freilachmakers Old Time Str

For any of you in the Northern California area, my band, The Freilachmakers
Old Time String Band, will be in concert at The Palms in south Davis (near
Sacramento) on Thursday night May 29 at 8 pm. The address is 726 Drummond
Ave. (916-756-9901). Tickets are $8.50 in advance or $9.00 at the door.
SUCH A DEAL!!

A description of The Freilacmakers follows.

Kol tuv,

Andy Rubin
The Freilachmakers Old Time String Band
=====

The Freilachmakers Old Time String Band

The Freilachmakers Old Time String Band is a hot new 5-piece Jewish string
band located in the Sacramento/Davis area.  Most of the music we do comes
from the klezmer (Eastern European Jewish instrumental folk) tradition, but
we do it in a style more closely resembling that of the old time American
string bands than what is usually associated with "klezmer" music.  In some
ways we have reverted to an older Eastern European form of the klezmer
idiom, though in a distinctly American folk music-influenced and
Celtic-influenced context (indeed, don't be shocked if you hear a hoe-down
or an old Irish jig thrown in amongst the bulgars, horas and kolomeikes).
We also play Israeli and Sephardic Jewish music. It is all incredibly fun
and exciting, and will without a doubt get your feet tapping and your mouth
smiling.  We are available for weddings, concerts, bar/bat mitzvahs,
parties, or other simchot (joyous occasions).

In the April 1997 issue of THE BLUEGRASS BREAKDOWN, the California
Bluegrass Association's newspaper, Howard Gold wrote, "The group's music
takes the audience a step beyond traditional Klezmer, transcends time, and
returns you to the old days of old Odessa, freilach, and 'Tantz, tantz
tantz!'" Gold recommends, "Should the opportunity arise for you to attend a
Freilachmakers' performance, move directly to the front of the line..."

Our personnel and instrumentation are as follows:

ELAINE FINGERETT - accordion, tambourine
DAVE KIDD (former fiddler for the Australian folk group The Bushwhackers)-
fiddle, balalaika, Irish tin whistle, voice (Yiddish, Russian)
DAVID ROSENFELD - guitar, tenor banjo, mandolin, talking drum
ANDY RUBIN - 5-string (clawhammer) banjo, mandolin, tenor banjo, voice
(Hebrew, English)
LOU ANN WEISS - upright bass

For bookings or for further information, call Andy Rubin at 916-484-1176
(h) or 916-324-3477 (w) or e-mail at   morissa_rubin (at) macnexus(dot)org

ZIE G'ZUNDT!!!!

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->