Gusikov, et al

Alex,
I agree, Gusikov is the most famous "klezmer" of the last century. The most
interesting research on him comes from Vienna based klezmer
musician/historian Josh
Horowitz, whose original research casts a fresh perspective on the image of
the
"primitive" status of Gusikov.
Stempenyu is a wonderful though hoary potboiling novella. I love the ring of
authenticity of Rabinovitch's klezmer-sprakh footnotes. From the point of
view of those of us interested in authentic representations of klezmorim,
there isn't much
in "Stempenyu" to intertest us. I hope to be done with my book by the end of
the year and it should hit the stands next year.

Henry Sapoznik

PS Could you please give me your personal e-mail address; I'm not comfortable
having a private correspondence in a public forum...

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->