Talila

Talila Chante le Yiddish (Talila sings Yiddish) is on Le Chant du Monde, number
LDX 274 956.  It's mostly in Yiddish as the title says, but there are a few
Hebrew tunes, too.  Most of the repertoire would seem at home in a contemporary
klez band (Bay mir bistu Sheyn, Papirossn, etc), but the style is rather like
Jacques Brel, with either piano or accordion and double bass.  I love it,
although I'm not sure it would be to everyone's taste.  I reviewed it (in tandem
with Rhythm and Jews) a few years ago for Ethnomusicology.  I thought both were
admirably innovative without losing touch with tradition.  Still do.  My copy
was sent to me and I have no idea where to get it, other than that it's a French
label.

Alex Lubet, Ph. D.
Morse Alumni Distinguished Teaching Professor of Music
Adjunct Professor of American Studies
University of Minnesota
100 Ferguson Hall
Minneapolis, MN 55455