Subject: Salamone Rossi: THE SONGS OF SOLOMON
Author:  gabe (at) pgm(dot)com at ccgate
Date:    30/08/96 15:58

Several months ago a thread regarding the SONGS OF SOLOMON by Salamone
Rossi (1570-c1630) came up, and I mentioned that we would be issuing a
recording of it.  Several folks asked me to announce its availability
when it finally came out, and here it is:

PGM Recordings is pleased to announce the availability of the first
modern recording of Salamone Rossi's SONGS OF SOLOMON.  Rossi was the
most famous Jewish composer of the Italian Renaissance.  In addition
to a large collection of secular music, he also wrote a large collection
of service music, entitled Hashirim Asher Lish'lomo (The Songs of Solomon),
a punning reference to Shir Hashirim (The Song of Songs), on Rossi's name.
The musical style:  quintessentially Italian Renaissance, and yet the
texts are in Hebrew.  In a musical marketplace overrun with medieval
Chant, PGM is pleased to release this distinguished collection of
a capella Hebrew Renaissance music which is, as Rossi himself described
it, "Something new in the land."

Full details can be found at:  http://www.pgm.com

PGM Recordings are distributed in the United States and Canada by
Allegro Corporation--(800) 288-2007--and are available at fine
record dealers everywhere.

PGM catalog number for this selection:  PGM 108
PGM universal product code for this selection: 7 02801 01082 9

--
Gabe Wiener   Dir., PGM Early Music Recordings |"I am terrified at the thought
A Div. of Quintessential Sound, Inc., New York | that so much hideous and bad

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->